The Summary Report from CESPAD’s Observers Today (ENGLISH)

Thanks to the The Center for Economic and Policy Research (CEPR) for the translation of the following mini-report of CESPAD’s observation work today!

5:21 P.M. EST: The Plataforma Ciudadana de Jóvenes del Centro de Estudio para la Democracia (CESPAD) has issued a report detailing their findings of their observations today. Among these are:

  • Late arrival of electoral materials to the MER, in at least 27% of the polling stations observed.
  • Only 35% of MER opened between 6:30 and 7:00 a.m., the remaining 65% opened between 7:30 and 9:00 AM.
  • Only 55% of the MER had representation from all party participants in the race.
  • The presence of credentials with names or photos, which presents evidence of trafficking of credentials to the benefit of a particular party.
  • The presence of national and international election observers has been significant. According to our reports, 69% of the MER have registered their presence. However, in some cases there have been obstructions to the performance of their functions and intimidation by party members and military personnel (see testimonials at the end of this text).
  • There is a high disregard for the provisions of the law regarding the presence of electoral propaganda near voting centers. In 46% of the MER, propaganda was located at a distance of less than 50 meters.
  • Also, the absence of electoral registry trustees in an unknown number of MER, that in some cases hindered the start of voting at the time established by the Electoral Act.

The report also describes several incidents that CESPAD observers encountered throughout the day, including one in which four CESPAD and Lutheran World Foundation observers were escorted away from tables 8979 and 8961 of the United Nations School voting center in Villa Nueva, Tegucigalpa, without explanation.